Wednesday, July 30, 2014

FAQ's Town Clerk

Q. When is the Woodstock Fair?

The fair is always held Labor Day Weekend, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Visit their website for further information

Q. When is the Roseland Cottage Craft Festival?

The Roseland Cottage Craft Festival is held the weekend after Columbus Day in October, on Saturday and Sunday. Visit their website at:

Q. What night do children “Trick or Treat” for Halloween?

The Town of Woodstock does not regulate Halloween Trick or Treating. 

Q. How do I know if the copy I have of my birth certificate is a valid, legal document?

In order for your birth certificate to be valid and legal, it must have been issued from the Vital Records Department of the actual town you were born in, or, if your parents were residing in Woodstock at the time of your birth, and you were born in another Connecticut town, then we would have a copy of the birth record and can issue a legal copy of the certificate. Some hospitals will give the parents a “decorative” certificate at the time of birth. This is not a valid, legal document of your birth.

Q. Where can my teenager get Working Papers?

You get Working Papers at Woodstock Academy, 928-6575.

Q. Where do I register to vote?

Come into the Office of the Town Clerk or call us at 928-6595 and we will mail you a voter registration form or download the form from the Secretary of the State.

Q. I’m going to be out of town during the next election, can I still vote?

Yes, please call the Town Clerk or come in for an absentee ballot application and absentee ballot or download the application.

Q. Where do I get a passport or renew my old one?

You can pick up and have the application processed at most Post Offices or any Judge of Probate Office.  NE District Probate Office: 860-923-2203

Q. Where do I get hunting and fishing licenses?

At any Town Clerk’s Office in Connecticut, or by going to the DEP website 

Q. What are the hours of the transfer station?

Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Tuesday: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm

Q. I want to transfer my real estate property. How do I do that?

You should contact an attorney.

Q. I lost the deed to my house. Where can I get a copy of my deed?

You can get a copy of your deed at the Office of the Town Clerk. Land Record copies are $1.00 per page.

Q. I just got married, how do I change my name on my deed?

Call the Town Clerk’s office and ask for a Change of Name Certificate. Once executed, it is recorded on our Land Records for a fee of $53.00 and it changes the name on your deed.

Q. When do you license your dog?

Dog licenses expire June 30th. Renewal licenses must be purchased on or before June 30th. If you have a new dog, the dog has to be 6 months old and you must show proof of rabies (have a valid rabies certificate) and show proof of spay or neutering (valid spay/neuter certificate). You may mail in the check along with the appropriate paperwork to license your dog and we will mail your dog tag to you.  See the DOWNLOADS tab to obtain the application form.  A license is a dlost dog's ticket home.

Q. When is the Town Hall open?

Monday, Tuesday & Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Wednesday 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Q. How old do you have to be before you need a fishing license?

At 16 years of age, you are required to have a fishing license in Connecticut. If you are under 16 years old, you must be fishing with a person who does hold a valid State of Connecticut fishing license.


You are now logged out.